Thursday, April 11, 2013

Learning From the Journey Part 2


         I know God surrounds us with certain people for a reason.  I was able to pack everything I brought to college in one day, thanks to other people’s help.  I was brought boxes, tape, ice cream for a packing break :) My roommate drove me around, several people helped me carry the heavy boxes to the post office.  I have always been an independent person and I like to do things on my own.  I hate asking people for help and I hate being a burden.  So it was extremely hard for me to humble myself and receive my friends help.  There is no way I could have done it on my own.  This experience helped me know that God answers our prayers, and often times He likes to answer them through other people.  How can we pray for strength and comfort in times of need but turn away people when they ask if we need help?
         This is also the first time in my life when I have been able to feel God’s love for me through other people.  I have never, had so many people praying for me at one time in my life.  God has blessed me with strength because of the family and friends I have praying for me.  There are no words to describe how grateful I am for the notes, support, and prayers I have received during this time.
          After I got home, my blood test came back and I found out the thyroid medication had actually made my white blood count even lower, dangerously lower.  I was basically quarantined to keep me from getting sick.  So I was stuck in the house for like 30 days waiting for surgery.  I wasn’t allowed to go to church or be around friends which was hard for me because I like being social.  The only time I left the house was for doctor’s appointments and to go to my great-grandpa’s funeral who we called Dad.  I was so grateful I could attend the beautiful funeral.
          One doctor’s appointment I was allowed to leave the house for was the ophthalmologist.  We arrived and they put the drops in to dilate my eyes and then the doctor left the room…Apparently I was allergic to the eye drops because they cut off access to a nerve in my neck.  The last thing I remember was telling my dad “I am going to pass out now.” My dad said I slid out of the chair and he called for help as I had a seizure-like episode.  It took a while for me to come to.  Let’s just say…I won’t be using the dilating drops ever again.
         Later, I did an MRI on my eyes and they found the inflamed tissue as suspected, but there was nothing else they could do until after surgery.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Oh Ashlee, you are going through a lot. But you know what? I read today President Uchtdorf's talk, Your Happily Ever After (you should read it again, its from the Young Women's session in 2010...or 11) and he said that our trials are a necessary part of this life. After all this is over, you will be better and stronger. The Lord is watching over you. He loves you. He knows you can come through this major trial in your life. You are awesome. You are doing so well. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOVE that talk!!! Thanks for being such an amazing friend Krisiti!!!!

    ReplyDelete